Saturday, February 22, 2014

VB6 and Me

Went to the library and checked out a stack of Mark Bittman cookbooks. One of my favorite activities is looking for new recipes to try. I remember being a girl and seeing my mother "read" cookbooks and thinking that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen!!! My oh my! How the tables have turned! Now I "read" cookbooks like crazy cakes!! I discovered one of Mark's latest books VB6: Eat Vegan Before 6pm. I'm not vegan although I was a vegetarian for many years before I had children. Now I guess I'm what you call a flexitarian. I eat meat some nights, veggie some nights but over all I just try to make healthy food choices. However, (full confession- wait for it) I've noticed that this winter in dealing with the stresses of life, I have been overindulging in sweets and carbs. That is the catch 22 with enjoying reading new recipes, then you want to cook and eat the results!! I've decided I need to get out of my winter rut and try something new. VB6 is exactly what I need and it makes sense(unless your vegan and then going full on vegan makes more sense). I don't like to deprive myself. I like to eat whatever I want and for the most part tend to stick with healthy choices because I feel better when I do. I am not a believer in diets, I've always thought that working towards a healthy overall lifestyle is a much more sustainable option. That is why I like this book. Being really mindful about your choices all throughout the day (focusing on veggies, fruits, nuts) leaves a little room at the end of the day to maybe indulge in that piece of cake with the kiddos. The book provides meal plans and recipes which are very helpful. If your diet needs a little overhaul, if you need to get out of your winter rut then this is a great place to start. I'm starting today by having oatmeal with bananas and almond milk. I will probably have a spinach smoothie for a mid morning snack and big salad for lunch. Not sure about dinner yet. I will let you know in a few days how its been going. I'm off to get my VB6 started!!

Be Well Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thought!!