Thursday, February 13, 2014

Food Glorious Food

Remember last post when I said we were preparing for 5 snowflakes? Boy was I wrong!!!! We have real snow. Many inches and probably going to get more.

One of my favorite things to do is to not only cook, but look up new recipes. I'm constantly checking out cookbooks from the library and looking for recipes on the internet. I love to try new recipes. Today would be a perfect day to just stay in the kitchen and cook but, due to the bad weather I'm staying with family right now. Just in case my kiddos and I  ran out of power, they invited me to their place where they have a generator and grill. As I'm sitting watching the news(yep, there's snow) I'm wishing I could be up chopping and prepping for a delicious soup or stew. Since I can't do that, I thought it would be a great time to share some of my favorite food blogs!!


  • Food Heaven Made Easy This is a great blog designed by a dietician and a nutritionist. Together they are a dynamic duo. Along with their blog they offer a cooking and nutrition web series as well. I'm planning on making their Baked Eggs in an Avocado as a post Valentine's Day breakfast!! I would love to hang out in the kitchen with these fab ladies as they create their amazing plant-based recipes!! Invite me over for dinner please!!!
  • Choosing Raw Gena shares what she has learned about eating raw and leading a vegan lifestyle. I am not a raw foodie but I think finding different ways to eat raw (other than salad) is a great way to add to your own nutritional well being. Sometimes people are afraid of trying raw or vegan recipes. It can be intimidating to read a recipe with strange sounding ingredients or expensive kitchen tools. This blog has a  lot of delicious recipes to enjoy and you can pick the ones that work best for what's already in your pantry. I recommend the Raw Brussel Sprout Salad.
  • Simply Green Smoothies Love, love, love these girls!! I started their Green Smoothie Challenge on January 1st and it has changed my life. Ok, I know everybody says stuff like that but discovering the benefits of having 1-2 green smoothies a day has really been a great change for me. I have more energy and focus, I stay full longer, and they are easy to make so I can always have one waiting for me in the fridge. I don't really eat snacks. When I eat I like to eat a meal, which means between meals I can get hungry and grumpy. Having a smoothie around 3pm has really made a difference in getting through the last bit of the afternoon. I've also found that I can have one for breakfast along with a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter and I'm great until lunch! I know that most smoothie fanatics recommend getting a Vitamix (which I would get if I could afford it) but I use a Ninja blender and it works just fine. 
  • Lick the Bowl Good Moderation is the key to a healthy life. I've always felt (well, I learned from Micheal Pollan) that if you are willing to make what it is you want to eat than go ahead! It's much better to make your own cake with good quality ingredients than to buy one from a chain grocery store. Cakes are Monica's life and life is delicious. I have baked a few of her yummy treats. I've never made one that I didn't like. So far the Snickerdoodle Cake is my favorite!!!
Hope you enjoy a sampling of a few of my favorite food blogs. I will continue adding to the list.

Be Well Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thought!!